RPG to MMO

Off Topic discussions not related to Exile Online. Please no posts about religion or politics.
Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:33 pm

• Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on taking a RPG and converting it into an MMO (ie KOTOR to SWTOR). I only bring this up because I have been engrossed with Dragon Age: Inquisition over the past month (I waited to buy it and am glad I did... I got all the DLC at once) and am getting the feeling that they are testing the waters with some very MMOesque features like multiplayer, mounts, crafting, gathering, more open world zones, dynamic player housing, a potentially open-ended "post game" (until they released that last DLC, Trespasser, of course), etc.

In one hand, they can thoroughly change the pace, feel, story, and timeline of a RPG title from release to release (as with Trespasser, they went ahead two years into the story) but with a MMO, they can progress the story slowly based on player input, events, etc and the world is much more dynamic. While it's more difficult to change the systems for crafting, combat, etc with a MMO, they can radically change the mechanics from release to release when dealing with a RPG title.

Input?
    You would probably lose your header if it weren't compiled on. ~ Tron 2.0
    It's amazing how productive doing nothing can be. ~ Flynn
    Find me on Twitch/Steam/Origin (soon: Worpress/Twitter/Facebook) - Failtasmagoria
    NullUnit

Wed Sep 16, 2015 3:41 pm

• It works with some things. Others are best left to the solo RPG style unless they are done extremely well. Look at what happened to Elder Scrolls Online. It was built up with so much hype that it failed miserably after it was launched.
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:35 pm

• Heh, yeah, a buddy of mine, to this day, refers to ESO as the Highlander 2 of MMOs... he refuses to recognise that it exists.
    Find me on Twitch/Steam/Origin (soon: Worpress/Twitter/Facebook) - Failtasmagoria
    NullUnit

Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:06 pm

• NullUnit wrote:Heh, yeah, a buddy of mine, to this day, refers to ESO as the Highlander 2 of MMOs... he refuses to recognise that it exists.

Hah Highlander 2...Apt
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:41 am

• well I think one of the issues there is they failed to recognize what people love about their game.

One of the Elder Scrolls' (or Fallout's) largest sell points is its modding community; the game could have benefited from a level editor or really ANY sort of player made content. Additionally, the series is known for its wide open worlds, which the MMO's faction lines removed from the table.
    sersi

Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:01 am

• See, that is very confusing to me. How can you go from RPG to MMO and reduce the openness of the world? That just screams a lack of comprehension of creating a 'world' to play in. Mission and level creation by fans is a great way to let the players know you welcome their input into the world they will be spending time with, money on, and effort in. When I run through a modern city and see all of these doors that don't open, I always wonder what could be behind that door. Who lives there? Who works there? What secrets are within? Let the players flesh out some of those "decoration" portals... put some life into that otherwise flat surface.

I've never understood why they haven't gone forward with a Tron MMO. It's inside a computer... it's literally limitless potential for development. Need a new area? Create a portal to a new system/environment. Imagine the graphical difference travelling from a Macintosh to a Windows machine, and then going to a dungeon run in a Linux environment. Easy for players to create their own small scenarios, quests, or dungeons with that type of environment.

On that note, I can easily see Exile releasing something like this for the web at some point. Players create their own system that other players can attempt to raid or hack. Upgrade it as time goes on... it would almost be like player housing except interactive for other players. You would be required to funnel resources to keep your cyber-fortress up and running, and if the raiding party breaches your security, they get to loot a percentage of those resources for themselves... maybe even steal a few of your programs while they are at it. It could be something voluntary, so no whining allowed!

I love games with player content. I am looking forward to running my friends through the new Dungeons and Dragons game with me as the DM. A sort of "almost" MMO experience, but I get to write the story... I've been tempted to take this huge Shadowrun campaign that I have been writing and convert it over to the Shadowrun engine on Steam. If I could get out of this Dragon Age Inquisition addiction I seem to have developed, I may just start on that next weekend. My dream job... writer for an immersive MMO/RPG. Sadly, still paying off student loans from my Bachelor's Degree in Business Management that is collecting dust! LOL... such is life.

ANYWAY, back on track - sorry for the wall of text! I guess that would actually be a good question for Prometheus - will EO have any sort of player-made content (like previously suggested) or raidable safe-houses, or organization headquarters that are assailable?
    NullUnit

Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:13 pm

• NullUnit wrote:ANYWAY, back on track - sorry for the wall of text! I guess that would actually be a good question for Prometheus - will EO have any sort of player-made content (like previously suggested) or raidable safe-houses, or organization headquarters that are assailable?

As to the question of actual player made content, we will of course strive to take in feedback from you guys on what you want to see in terms of content in the future. As a sandbox we will be looking at delivering many different things as you mention here that create content for players to become more immersed into the universe.
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:25 pm

• An energized bit is a happy bit! Much excite, very interest... :D
    NullUnit

Sun May 08, 2016 3:10 pm

• sersi wrote:well I think one of the issues there is they failed to recognize what people love about their game.

One of the Elder Scrolls' (or Fallout's) largest sell points is its modding community; the game could have benefited from a level editor or really ANY sort of player made content. Additionally, the series is known for its wide open worlds, which the MMO's faction lines removed from the table.

Users can create addons for Elder Scrolls Online. I, for one uses a map mod that displays a minimap in the corner. Best addon ever when mixed with another addon that displays all mining nodes and coordinates for the Shards needed to level up your skills. :)
    Tybobobo

Return to OFF TOPIC

Information