Crafting - Discussion

Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:19 am

Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:30 am

• You'll need to do something to remove crafted items from circulation or the markets will eventually be saturated with high-level items. Basic economy management is easy to overlook and has no short-term impact, but it can ruin games in the long term. Other than that I'm not seeing any major downsides to the crafting system as long as combat isn't a 95% gear-based fight like WoW.

As for the crafting itself: the system looks good, and it's nice to see a game where making a ton of say, bricks, doesn't automatically make you an expert at creating clay pots. Just don't underestimate how much players are willing to grind for max skills when you do the math for what makes you an expert at crafting something.
    Motoko Kusanagi

Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:04 am

• Motoko Kusanagi wrote:You'll need to do something to remove crafted items from circulation or the markets will eventually be saturated with high-level items. Basic economy management is easy to overlook and has no short-term impact, but it can ruin games in the long term. Other than that I'm not seeing any major downsides to the crafting system as long as combat isn't a 95% gear-based fight like WoW.

As for the crafting itself: the system looks good, and it's nice to see a game where making a ton of say, bricks, doesn't automatically make you an expert at creating clay pots. Just don't underestimate how much players are willing to grind for max skills when you do the math for what makes you an expert at crafting something.

Items durability is degraded over time through use and on death. The durability loss is a % based upon the current maximum durability of an item. For example if an item has 100/100 durability and it loses say 5% on death, it would end up as 95/100.

We are still deciding whether to add diminishing returns to the effectiveness of an item if it drops below a certain threshold of durability status.

For example it would be at 100% effectiveness at 100/100 rating, but at 25/100 rating it may lose some effectiveness.

When this item reaches 0/100 it becomes unusable and needs to be repaired by someone with the repair skill trained to a degree that is equal to the quality of the item being repaired.

When an item is repaired, there is a change that it will lose some of its maximum durability. This chance can be mitigated by using repair enhancing items and finding someone with a higher repair skill level, but can never be totally mitigated.

For example if an item is at 0/100 and is repaired there is a chance it could end up having 95/95 on repair.

All these numbers are still being tested for balance etc.
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:02 pm

• HI
    well i think have understand for the craft..
    but talkin economy..
    for sell a craft i made...
    deposit to a seller PNJ? (for ex ryzom...)
    same as WOW with auction possibility?
    just player to player... (neocron)

thx
    muadib

Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:42 pm

• muadib wrote:HI
    well i think have understand for the craft..
    but talkin economy..
    for sell a craft i made...
    deposit to a seller PNJ? (for ex ryzom...)
    same as WOW with auction possibility?
    just player to player... (neocron)

thx

There will be an auction style system with variable fees depending on certain criteria of item. If you want to avoid the fees you can use player to player trade.
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:09 am

• Wow, just finished writing that and it kind turned into a thesis for the theory of game mechanics xD Sorry about that xD

Diminishing returns wouldn't bring any benefits to either market or to player, as all it would do is require repair earlier to maintain maximum weapon efficiency. A big question to the economy will also be time required to gather/craft item vs item degradation (not factoring lvling time, as that would not be an issue late game).

I do hope you will NOT implement CritCrafts as all that does is increase the amount of work required to get the same item, which can be done just as easily by simply increase base costs across the board. I hate having to craft the same item 100 times to get 1 that is only 5% better than the others. (Proficiency is another matter, since that is simply skill use vs RNG) Aside from the hate, the only true reason to have something like that is to include purchasable CritCraft increasers as a form of Revenue flow.

What I do hope for is a triangle of weapon and armor types, e.g. Kinetic, Thermal and Radiation weapon types; Plating, Insulation and CBRN. Each category can have secondary effects e.g. Debuff (Kintetic has Suppressing, Thermal has Freezing, Radiation has Sickness) that causes Evasion/Acc debuff or a DPS boost (Kinetic has Penetration, Thermal has Burning, Radiation has Concentrated) that has increased flat DPS and crit chance. Armors could have a similar set up: More defense (Plating with Heavy, Insulation with Thick, Radiation with Leaded) or more Evasion/Acc (Plating with Light, Insulation with Thin, Radiation with Rubber)

This leads to varied builds as to the current Meta e.g. with a Build Square: Debuff/Tank beats DPS/Speed beats Debuff/Speed beats DPS/Tank beats Debuff/Tank.

A 4th Weapon type would be Launchers whose damage type depends on Ammunition and is AoE, where regular weapons are SingleTarget.

This kind of set up would mean there is no BEST weapon in game, just BEST weapon or armor in a category. This would set up 3x2+1 combination of weapon TYPE (not counting different kinds of weapons e.g. Single Handed, FastFiring, Long Range, Close Range) that a single character SHOULD have to be equipped for any situation. With how crafting would work requiring time be able to craft gear and getting proficiency in crafting that piece of gear into the best version would make the need to remove items from circulation moot, as the variety would simply be too high for there to exist enough of everything.
    It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live. -Marcus Aurelius
    Rayce Kaiser

Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:13 am

• BLUEPRINTS

I know that blueprints would be
    found in instance and raid bosses. In rare cases, they may drop from a creature that ate a person that was carrying such a blueprint.
    But can the players sell or buy the blueprint from markets or auctions? If so trade can players trade with other players to avoid the tax system?

Also, can NPC have rewards for basic unidentified blueprints, or is that specifically a kill reward system for defeating an enemy?
    Sefrent

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:17 pm

• Sefrent wrote:BLUEPRINTS

I know that blueprints would be
    found in instance and raid bosses. In rare cases, they may drop from a creature that ate a person that was carrying such a blueprint.
    But can the players sell or buy the blueprint from markets or auctions? If so trade can players trade with other players to avoid the tax system?

Also, can NPC have rewards for basic unidentified blueprints, or is that specifically a kill reward system for defeating an enemy?

Some blueprints will not be bound to the player when they are picked up, so you can trade them on both the auction house or direct with other players.

Some missions will reward blueprints, they are found in many circumstances, not just from kills.
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Return to GAMEPLAY

Information