SITELOGINBUTTON

JOINUS

Missions/Quest Systems?

Sun May 08, 2016 4:03 pm

• I do not know for sure if there will be missions or quests in the game. However, I will assume there will be. :)

I am wondering how you will handle missions/quests in the game. Unfortunately it can be very challenging to create missions and quests that does not involve an excessive amount of "Kill 10 of X" and "Get me 6 Y" in order to create fillers of content to make people spend more time in the game.

Will there be story writers that will create "campaign"-like quests/missions? It would be nice to see story-writing on pair with "Star Wars The Old Republic". They really handled it very nicely. Even Age of Conan did it too - although it did have a bit too much "Kill 10 of X" type quests. :)

Will there be any voice dialogue? Perhaps a mix with voice overs and with only text?
    Tybobobo

Mon May 09, 2016 8:39 am

• We plan to have most things voice acted. Both mission and flavour incidental text that occurs when you overhear some NPCs talking to each for example. This may sound ambitious but we do have voice actors lined up for when it comes to it.

As to the mission system, you are correct about the abundance of "go here kill 10 of whatever" missions that happen a lot in games these days. While we will try to avoid these, it sometimes happens to be that you will need a player to fulfil a task that is akin to this.

But what we want to avoid are the kind of missions where you talk to an NPC, they tell you some fluff story about some wolves attacking their livestock and want you to go and kill 10 of them. It seems like an arbitrary number just because.

How we would design it, maybe the wolves have been killing the livestock because of some influence such as something is driving the wolves mad or taking over their usual hunting grounds causing the wolves to attack the farms livestock. Maybe the player will have to kill some wolves along the way to finding out the root cause of the attacks but killing them would just be incidental and not necessarily a main task in the mission itself.
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Mon May 09, 2016 12:20 pm

• Prometheus wrote:We plan to have most things voice acted. Both mission and flavour incidental text that occurs when you overhear some NPCs talking to each for example. This may sound ambitious but we do have voice actors lined up for when it comes to it.

As to the mission system, you are correct about the abundance of "go here kill 10 of whatever" missions that happen a lot in games these days. While we will try to avoid these, it sometimes happens to be that you will need a player to fulfil a task that is akin to this.

But what we want to avoid are the kind of missions where you talk to an NPC, they tell you some fluff story about some wolves attacking their livestock and want you to go and kill 10 of them. It seems like an arbitrary number just because.

How we would design it, maybe the wolves have been killing the livestock because of some influence such as something is driving the wolves mad or taking over their usual hunting grounds causing the wolves to attack the farms livestock. Maybe the player will have to kill some wolves along the way to finding out the root cause of the attacks but killing them would just be incidental and not necessarily a main task in the mission itself.

Good level+story design would make that work nicely :)
    Thanks
    Tybobobo

Tue May 10, 2016 5:26 pm

• Exactly. Arbitrarily saying "go here and kill 10 chickens or get me 10 herbs" is ancient methodology of MMO design.

Saying that, there will of course be times when you need to find something or kill something in a mission, but there has to be a deeper meaning behind it other than "just coz"
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Thu May 12, 2016 6:03 pm

• Prometheus wrote:Exactly. Arbitrarily saying "go here and kill 10 chickens or get me 10 herbs" is ancient methodology of MMO design.

Saying that, there will of course be times when you need to find something or kill something in a mission, but there has to be a deeper meaning behind it other than "just coz"

I guess it would be possible to have one NPC that is the stereotypical "Old School MMO Quest Giver" giving out quests like that for the sake of irony. Not sure how that would be pulled off though. :P
    Tybobobo

Sat May 14, 2016 3:01 pm

• Heh the guy gives unlimited missions of the type "go here kill 10 guys" and also "go here collect 10 herbs"
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Return to GAMEPLAY

Information