SITELOGINBUTTON

JOINUS

The Cybernet - Discussion

Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:10 am

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:16 am

• I have far too many questions about this, since there's so many ways a system like this could go.

Is the Cybernet set in stone, or can it be changed by users? Is user-generated content possible? If you had the power/permissions, could you alter the nearby areas of the Cybernet for your own purposes?

Can attacks from the Cybernet directly target individuals outside/logged off of the Cybernet but who still have connections to the 'net?

Can you use the Cybernet to hack into all NPCs, limited kinds of NPCs such as androids, or is hacking into NPCs impossible?

I'm going to assume that there will be combat in the Cybernet, but how direct will it be? Are you going to be attacking your opponents avatar directly, or can you do things like cutting their connection to the 'net or infecting them with a virus while remaining undetected?

How vulnerable/powerful are ghosts, compared to ordinary citizens and players?

How do you move around the Cybernet? Physics can be changed on a whim in a fully online world, so I'd imagine things like teleportation and flight would be extremely common.

How abstract will the Cybernet be? Will it have buildings and such, visual representations of servers/connection, or something else completely?

Lastly (for now,) how powerful is information on the 'net? Are stealth, misinformation, proxies, and other information denial techniques useful?

So many possibilities, so little information D: Still, incredibly interesting concept and I'll be looking forward to this world being fleshed out more.
    Motoko Kusanagi

Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:40 pm

• Hi Major, thanks for your questions.

Q - Is the Cybernet set in stone, or can it be changed by users? Is user-generated content possible? If you had the power/permissions, could you alter the nearby areas of the Cybernet for your own purposes?

A - As our game is being developed as a sandbox environment, we want players to have the ability to affect it in some degree. This includes the Cybernet. A plan has always been that if so desired, a player could spend their entire game life inside the cybernet, basically living inside a game within a game. This could even go so far as to owning areas and "apartments" within the net.

Q - Can attacks from the Cybernet directly target individuals outside/logged off of the Cybernet but who still have connections to the 'net?

A - As with any internet style system, if you are online you are at risk...

Q - Can you use the Cybernet to hack into all NPCs, limited kinds of NPCs such as androids, or is hacking into NPCs impossible?

A - Yes, you will be able to use hacking to control certain NPC's and technological based systems inside and outside of the cybernet.

Q - I'm going to assume that there will be combat in the Cybernet, but how direct will it be? Are you going to be attacking your opponents avatar directly, or can you do things like cutting their connection to the 'net or infecting them with a virus while remaining undetected?

A - Combat can range from direct digital assaults against other avatars jacked into the cybernet to hacking connections and minigames based upon logic and other cyberpunk style systems.

Q - How vulnerable/powerful are ghosts, compared to ordinary citizens and players?

A - When jacked into the cybernet, players are as powerful in there as a normal person is in the outside world. Subject to being stronger or weaker against other cybernet avatars depending on each players skill, resourcefulness, gear and character strengths.

Q - How do you move around the Cybernet? Physics can be changed on a whim in a fully online world, so I'd imagine things like teleportation and flight would be extremely common.

A - There is no spoon.

Q - How abstract will the Cybernet be? Will it have buildings and such, visual representations of servers/connection, or something else completely?

A - The human mind will only see what it can handle. The scientists that created the cybernet realised that a strict frame of 3D visual reference was needed to keep people from lobotomising themselves when trying to handle all of this digital information without spatial awareness.

Q - Lastly (for now,) how powerful is information on the 'net? Are stealth, misinformation, proxies, and other information denial techniques useful?

A - Very much so, the cybernet is being designed as a proxy to the current internet of the 21st century, with analogies of everything available to users but in a far more futuristic manner.
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:14 am

• Motoko Kusanagi wrote:I have far too many questions about this, since there's so many ways a system like this could go.

Is the Cybernet set in stone, or can it be changed by users? Is user-generated content possible? If you had the power/permissions, could you alter the nearby areas of the Cybernet for your own purposes?

Can attacks from the Cybernet directly target individuals outside/logged off of the Cybernet but who still have connections to the 'net?

Can you use the Cybernet to hack into all NPCs, limited kinds of NPCs such as androids, or is hacking into NPCs impossible?

I'm going to assume that there will be combat in the Cybernet, but how direct will it be? Are you going to be attacking your opponents avatar directly, or can you do things like cutting their connection to the 'net or infecting them with a virus while remaining undetected?

How vulnerable/powerful are ghosts, compared to ordinary citizens and players?

How do you move around the Cybernet? Physics can be changed on a whim in a fully online world, so I'd imagine things like teleportation and flight would be extremely common.

How abstract will the Cybernet be? Will it have buildings and such, visual representations of servers/connection, or something else completely?

Lastly (for now,) how powerful is information on the 'net? Are stealth, misinformation, proxies, and other information denial techniques useful?

So many possibilities, so little information D: Still, incredibly interesting concept and I'll be looking forward to this world being fleshed out more.

I don't know if you've read it but you would might like 'Otherland by Tad Williams.'
    NaiCagg

Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:39 am

• So, can you like get around quicker by using the cybernet or is your avatar within the cybernet like just your consciousness so you can't move outside the net?
    Foxen

Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:45 am

• Foxen wrote:So, can you like get around quicker by using the cybernet or is your avatar within the cybernet like just your consciousness so you can't move outside the net?

Distance within the Cybernet is a moot point really. There are many exits and entry points to choose from, so it could well be that a skilled hacker could end up many hundreds of miles from his previous location in a few scant minutes of travel within the net.
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:54 pm

• So, can we potentially expect to be able to construct cyber-fortresses, customize the look and capabilities of our avatar and programs? Will it be a polygon-based system like has been suggested in some cyberpunk sources or will it be a Tron-style digital world? Very interested to see how this pans out...
    You would probably lose your header if it weren't compiled on. ~ Tron 2.0
    It's amazing how productive doing nothing can be. ~ Flynn
    Find me on Twitch/Steam/Origin (soon: Worpress/Twitter/Facebook) - Failtasmagoria
    NullUnit

Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:11 pm

• NullUnit wrote:So, can we potentially expect to be able to construct cyber-fortresses, customize the look and capabilities of our avatar and programs? Will it be a polygon-based system like has been suggested in some cyberpunk sources or will it be a Tron-style digital world? Very interested to see how this pans out...

Players will be able to spend their entire game life in the net if they choose to do so. There are analogous locations to things such as bars and clubs and other such social hangouts. The lure of spending every waking hour within the net is one that many a citizen has succumbed to.

The cybernet will be a fully 3D realised environment like that of Tron. You will also be able to customise your net based avatar appearance separately from your "real world" appearance.
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:56 pm

• VERY cool... even more interested in seeing how you implement all of this!!! Guess I better create a team of cybernetic entities to take care of my physical body for me while I jack-in for months at a time... :shock:
    You would probably lose your header if it weren't compiled on. ~ Tron 2.0
    It's amazing how productive doing nothing can be. ~ Flynn
    Find me on Twitch/Steam/Origin (soon: Worpress/Twitter/Facebook) - Failtasmagoria
    NullUnit

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:26 pm

• NullUnit wrote:VERY cool... even more interested in seeing how you implement all of this!!! Guess I better create a team of cybernetic entities to take care of my physical body for me while I jack-in for months at a time... :shock:

Heh in RP terms, the problem of living ones life inside the Cybernet does come up. If you are not careful, your physical body can wither in the "real world". There are actually some cases of this happening. Even a few instances of strong willed individuals surviving this and living as essentially immortal beings within the Cybernet...

Most people that jack into the Cybernet do so for short periods of time for information retrieval or promiscuous cybersex encounters. Others that spend longer periods of time usually have safeguards in place such as being inserted into an awareness tank. These act to stabilise and keep the physical body nourished while the hacker takes care of whatever business they may have.
    Prometheus

Site Admin

Return to GAMEPLAY

Information